CAPEL HISTORY TRAIL
No. 16 - Meadhurst General Stores

The Meadhurst General Stores at 40 Whetsted Road is a brick-built property dating from the 1870s. The shop's motto was 'The little shop with the big reputation' and was owned for many years by Mrs Noakes. The next proprietor was Mr Percy Farmer until his death in 1950 when Mrs Ada Simpson took over.
After the shop closed, the building stood unused for many years before being converted to a domestic property when the shop, flat above and adjoining half of the semi-detached building was created into one residence during the early 1990s.
The photograph below shows the interior of the shop most likely during the 1970s with Mrs Simpson in the centre.
